Man, do I hate peeling prawns. It’s okay if you are on holiday, and lazing on the balcony in the late afternoon with friends. But I almost gave up on this meal when I had to devote a precious block of time to de-pooing prawns while the baby was asleep. Does it really make much difference to the taste if you buy pre-peeled prawns? I haven’t tried them.
I’m glad I persevered today though, as it was quick and easy to do in the thermal cooker once the peeling was done. Even the toddler ate it up (apart from the accompanying broccoli. Naturally). Oh, and it would be nicer with a splash of white wine in the sauce, but I left it out. It makes quite a lot of sauce so if you are making it for a larger group, you could increase the amount of prawns without changing the other quantities.
Creamy Garlic Prawns
- Handful of fresh parsley
- 500g of raw unpeeled prawns
- 4 cloves of garlic (this makes it pretty mild and toddler friendly, so add more if you don’t have to please fussy children).
- 250ml chicken stock
- 70 g butter
- 1 heaped tablespoon plain flour
- 125ml of pouring cream
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to season
Blade/s: Chopping + stirring
1. Peel and de-vein the prawns.
2. Check the chopping blade is in the jug. Pull some leaves from the parsley stems (don’t worry if there’s a few bits of stem left).
3. Start the machine on Sp7 for 7 sec. Drop the leaves through the measuring cup hole in the lid while the machine is running (this is the easiest way to chop small quantities of herbs).
4. Bang the jug upside down on a chopping board to get the parsley out. Give the jug a quick rinse to get the jug clean.
5. Peel the garlic cloves. Start the machine on Sp7 for 7 sec. Drop the cloves through the measuring cup hole in the lid while the machine is running.
6. Carefully remove the chopping blade, and put the stirring blade in.
7. Add the butter to the jug and scrape down the sides. Cook the garlic on Sp1, 100C for 1:30 min.
8. Add the stock, flour, mustard and cream to the jug. Cook on Sp3, 90C for 7 min.
9. Add the prawns. Cook on Sp1, 90C for 2:30 min, or until prawn flesh is cooked.
10. Stir through the parsley, and serve with rice and steamed green vegetables.