I really, really love a one-pot (or in this case, one-jug) meal. I’ve made pasta sauces in the Bellini before, but this is the first time I’ve tried cooking pasta in the sauce. I was a bit dubious about this technique but it’s seriously delicious. I used penne as I thought it would be more robust than some of the other types of pasta, and I also switched to the stirring (blunt) blade after chopping the garlic. The pasta stayed intact so it’s definitely not a mushy dish. If you are making this in the ThermoMix or HotMix Pro, then you might need to reduce the cooking times. For ThermoBlend, ThermoChef or SuperChef, the times should be the same.
Now, a confession about this one-pot thing. In the pics, I’ve shown that the broccolini steams at the same time as the pasta cooks (using the steamer basket on top of the jug). That was the idea, but even after 18 minutes of cooking, the broccolini still wasn’t cooked so I had to throw it in the microwave to finish it off. I love the idea of steaming vegies or rice while the main meal is cooking, but the sad truth is that the Bellini doesn’t do it all that well. To steam, you really need a nice big jug of boiling water bubbling away on ST temp (110C) – the 90-100C of most meals just doesn’t produce enough steam to cook quickly.From what I’ve heard, this isn’t just a fault of the Bellini – owners of other thermal cookers report similar problems.
So, to do the veg, I would either steam for 5 minutes in the Bellini before you start the main meal (then pop it back on the top of the jug while the pasta cooks), or just chuck it in the microwave anyway.
One-pot creamy chicken penne
- 150g cooked shredded chicken (left over roast or BBQ chicken will do nicely. This will shred further in the machine, so don’t make the pieces too small).
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 300g penne pasta
- 150ml single cream
- 500ml chicken stock (hot) +300ml hot water (n.b. I use 800ml of hot tap water and one Massell chicken stock cube)
- 50g grated parmesan
- freshly ground black pepper
- Bunch of broccolini, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Chopped fresh parsley
Blade/s: Chopping blade to start, then switch to stirring blade
1. (Optional) Fill the jug with 1. 5L of boiling water. Put the broccolini in the steamer tray and add it to the top of the lid. Cook on Sp3, ST temp (110C) for 5 min. Put steamer tray aside until step 4 and put lid back on jug.
2. Make sure chopping blade in the machine. Chop garlic into quarters and put in the measuring cup.
Start machine Sp8 for 8 sec. While blades are spinning, tip contents of measuring cup into the machine. (nb I find this is the most effective way to finely chop very small amounts of garlic). Scrape down the sides of the jug.
3. Swap the chopping blade to the stirring (blunt) blade. Add splash of EVOO. Cook on Sp1, ST (110 deg) for 2 min.
4. Add the remaining ingredients (except chicken). If you want to steam your broccolini, put steamer tray back on now. If not, put lid back on (with measuring cup in place). Cook on Sp1, 90 deg for 16 min.
5. Add shredded chicken and cook on Sp1, 90 deg for 2 min. Stir the parsley through the sauce. Serve with broccolini.
If you have a different thermal cooker, click on the name of your machine for general tips on converting this recipe and others: